Tuesday 25 March 2014

Different engine oils for Land Rover 300tdi

Some observations on engine oils

I thought I'd put this blog together which I will update over time as I change my engine oils to see what effect they have on MPG and also the feel of my Land Rover.  Larry is low mileage 55k so its a good test bed for this kind of exercise.

I have done this because I have noticed there is some changes in both the running and also the economy after I have changed oil types.  Sounds silly I guess, but having googled around a bit it seems other people have noticed a difference as well.  So I thought I'd put some subjective data up.

Firstly, when I got Larry he had been services by a chap who owned a motor mower company and I remember distinctly he said he used good quality oil which was used in his agg machines.  Our first long run in Larry returned 25mpg, which lets face it is crap for a diesel.  So the 1st thing I did was got a full service done, run the engine for 3,000 miles then change the engine oil again, the crap that came out was amazing and also smelly.

Service 1; I then filled up with Castrol Magnatec 10W40 A, this is a fully synthetic oil and on a run I was getting upto 30mpg and approx 26mpg on a mixed run around town.  Also the engine was quiet and I had no oil use, I guess my engine is in good nick.

Service 2; My latest oil change is with Halford cheap part synthetic 10W40 oil, I have immediately noticed a drop in MPG to about 28mpg on a run and 24mpg on mixed run around town,  Now I have some stock of this oil, but I will be using it all this year due to a long trip, so I will know exactly the mpg for a cheaper brand.  The engine now sounds a little less refind, not that it is refined anyway.

Also on my service 1 I used Halfords air and oil filter, for service 2 its britpart I think.  I'll keep to one supplier moving forward to ensure they quality of the air filter is not the issue.

I'll post updates on this one as I go along.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, excellent blog :) I'm also planning to get a late and clean as possible jap 300tdi disco for learning my off Road craft and prep for a future overland from Somerset to cape Town via East Africa.

    I like how you are doing the sensible mods and not deciding to go ott.

    The difference ill have is to remove the whole of the rear seats to free up space for fridge and aux fuel and water tanks leaving the load space free for a rack system. I'll be going roof tent way also.

    Planning to travel and live out of the thing for 6 months so want room for some spares/tools and of course food for extended periods in the bush.

    Your entry re your green Lane trip made me laugh, camping (often with just abivvy bag) for the last 30 years leads me to wonder with amazement how some head out with kit from argos and then complain about the cold/wet/discomfort!

    Look forward to reading more and when (no ifs!!) I start my disco journey, I'll link you my blog back

    Jon

    ReplyDelete