Saturday 12 January 2013

300TDI as standard and my list of overland modifications

Larry the Land Rover


This is a picture of Larry (my 300TDI) pretty much as he arrived; however we did some cosmetic work bonnet and roof re-sprayed just to make him look a little tidier. Also I picked up a roof rack cheaply on ebay for £65.


Standard Discovery 1 300TDI

Discovery 1 overland kit list


So I have a list of things which I’m going to do to tidy Larry up a bit and make suitable for over landing, this includes;

   Steering guard done £50!
   Diff guard done £24 the pair!
   Rock sliders done £229!
   Snorkel done £284!
   Dual battery set-up done £24
   3rd fuse box for the additional kit
   CB Radio done £100!
   Axel breathers extended
   1 ” spring lift heavy duty with new gas shocks. done £244 shocks, £122 springs, £45 fitting
   Bumper cut done £free!  Note, new bumpers now needed :)
   Driving lights done with the bull bars for £51
   Bull bars
   3rd internal leisure battery and solar panel
   Possibly better tyres, but we will see  got some 2nd hand Grabber AT2 for £250
   Internal Thermometer, always want to see how warm it is Done £3

I don’t want to go nuts with the car 3" lift, massive tyres and winches etc  because I will not be doing and extreme off roading, but I will need to work a little on the suspension just to ensure I can carry the fuel and water needed for any longer trip I do.

As for the interior, it's going to be pretty standard inside but prepared for travel, I will not change it a lot other than a dog guard so I can load up the boot. A roof rack will take a lot of stuff.

From a camping set-up we will be using a ground tent and a tarp from Larry to the ground for shelter.  Also all the water extra fuel etc. needed will be in containers, that way we can put Larry back to being the "Dog Mobile" as and when needed. 

I’m not going to remove the EGR or decat the exhaust yes, well not until it needs to be done.
I’ll be posting the mods soon.

I have now removed the EGR and put a de-cat exhaust on Larry, and the latter has made quite a difference to the performance and MPG.

Update January 2013

As at the beginning of 2013, this is what Larry now looks like, he has rock sliders, diff guards and a bumper trim.

Bumper trim, steering guard and rock sliders

Update by April 2013

After a rather hectic month Larry now has a snorkel, he has a de-cat exhaust and also the EGR has come off.  The exhaust was changed because I knocked the old one off when I was green laning :-( The EGR had to go because it was a water cooled one and got in the way of the air box when it was moved to fit the snorkel.  this is what Larry looks like now.

Snorkel fitted

Update June 2013


Ok I'm nearly there now I just have the suspension to sort and also the electrics but most of the add ons are now done.  This is what Larry looks like now.

Lights and bull bars fitted.




No comments:

Post a Comment